Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I just don't know what to say

I spent most of Sunday in my little apartment bubble; it was raining too hard to bike to the studio, so I did a little internet upkeep and brought my plants inside.

I was checking-in on the weather periodically. Most sites were reporting less-than-expected rainfall, and no wind. Hurricane disaster averted.

And then: Entire towns flooded. Or marooned, because all the bridges, highways, backroads and footpaths have been washed out. Dams might be released, flooding entire towns for a second time in twenty-four hours.

Montpelier weathered the storm, for the second time in three months.  Downtown basements flooded, again.  Restaurants and theaters closed temporarily. The studio escaped, once again. I still don't know what to say, and am feeling even less like I can do anything to make a difference.

And then this post from Emily at Clementine reminded me: I can do something.  And so:

Purchase any one of my prints, and I'll donate 25% to the Vermont FoodBank.  Purchase all three, and I'll donate 50%. 
There are a few other places taking donations right now, the Red Cross being one.  I'm sure there'll be more as the days come.  For more info on the scope of the devastation, read the Burlington Free Press article here.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

So glad to hear you are okay and that the studio didn't float away! We had minor things, loss of power and a few trees down, but overall much less than expected. Stay safe and dry :)

Emily said...

I'm just seeing this now! What a wonderful thing to do. These prints bring people so much joy and we're hanging two in Julian's nursery today!